Friday, June 17, 2011

Frazzled Friday!

Musings of a (wanna be) Retail Therapist

Hi Frazzled Friends!  This week's post is gonna be short - no pun intended!! Ha!  Anyway... I recently had a great time helping a friend shop for a few new outfits.  And by-the-way, I'd love to come along with you on your next clothes shopping excursion!  It would be great fun!  I promise!  

As we were picking items out, looking specifically for the best colors and the best style for her body, she began looking for a particular size.  I "gently" reminded her that different manufacturers make clothes differently and therefore the sizing can be all over the place.  (Example:  I have jeans in my closet that I can wear now, that range from a size 8 to a size 14.)

When suggested that she go up a size in a particular item, she said what most of us say; "I'm not going up to the that size!" "No way!"    ...   I know that I've said this before, have you?   Although I tried to encourage her that it was not about the number of the tag but how it fits your body, she remarked, "but I'm a numbers person."  Ummm.  

Ok, so what does that add up to?  Does size ___ equal too big, too little or not quite enough?  By whose measuring tape are we trying to measure ourselves against?  Yes, it's true that our bodies change over time in all kinds of ways ; up, down and around; but don't you know that this is how God planned us from the beginning?  Yes, we do need to take good care of our bodies because they are the dwelling place of the Most High God.  So there may be areas that have a little or a lot of opportunity for improvement.  But this does not mean that if you have to wear a certain "size" that makes you look proportional and just plain nice that you no longer need to attend to the business of caring for your body.  If you need to lose or gain some weight or tone up here or there then do so in a healthy way and then when the time is needed, go back to the store to purchase clothes that will fit your updated shape!

Realistically, do we really think other people know or even care what number is on the tag of our clothes?  More importantly, do we understand that God does not care what the size says on that tag!?!

I Samuel 16:7 (NKJV)
For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance (or the size on the tag), but the LORD looks at the heart.” (emphasis obviously mine!)

Love y'all

Blessings!

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment